Dr Bertil Magnusson
Department of Chemistry and Material
RISE Research Institutes of Sweden
Box 857, S-501 15 Borås, Sweden
Trollboken AB, Sweden
Born 10 of June, 1952, Göteborg, Sweden, personal code 520610-5099
Family Wife and three grown-up children
Started as a marine chemist looking for traces of metals in the Oceans, rivers, lakes and rain in the 70's. At that time clean room and clean sampling was something totally new in the chemical laboratory. After PhD he joined a chemical company, Eka Chemicals within AKZO-NOBEL and worked there as a specialist in analytical chemistry mainly with spectroscopy (XRF; XRD, ICP) and wet chemistry. The work included support for all laboratories within the company in Europe and America.
In 2002 Bertil joined SP Technical Research Institute of Sweden and is currently working with quality in measurements, Metrology in Chemistry, a research area on international comparability and traceability of chemical measurement results. Main issue is here to participate in international cooperation between national metrology institutes. A major part is teaching and writing guidelines and research papers regarding issues related to measurement quality e.g. measurement uncertainty, validation, traceability and quality control. Important part of his work is education for analytical laboratories. In Nordic cooperation, www.nordtest.info he has written a handbook on 1) Measurement Uncertainty, 2) Internal Quality Control for Environmental Laboratories and 3) Uncertainty in sampling. The favourite analytical technique is XRF and a user meeting is organised bi-annually.
Since 2002 member of Eurachem, currently member of the Executive committee, secretary of working groups on Measurement uncertainty and Traceability and member of the several other working groups. Technical assessor according to ISO/IEC 17025 and ISO/IEC 17043 (proficiency testing).
Bertil did represent Sweden 2002 to 2017 at European metrology, EURAMET and internationally by participating in CCQM, the consultative committee within the SI system for chemistry.
In 2016 Bertil started a consultant company, www.trollboken.se, supporting laboratories with measurement quality and analytical science.
PhD in Marine Analytical Chemistry 1981 Thesis: Determination of trace metals in natural waters.
1983-1992 Specialist in inorganic analytical chemistry
1992-2002 Specialist in inorganic analytical chemistry
SP - RISE
Research scientist, working in the field of measurement quality (Metrology in Chemistry)
2016 – Company – mainly working with education in the field of measurement quality.
Reg nr 559090-2127, www.trollboken.se
Some of the scientific publications after 2000
Before mainly publications about determination of trace metals in sea water
15. H Källgren, M Lauwaars, B Magnusson, L Pendrill and P Taylor, Role of measurement uncertainty in conformity assessment in legal metrology and trade, Accred Qual Assur (2003) 8:541–547
16. B Magnusson1, H Hovind, M Krysell, U Lund and I Mäkinen, The Nordtest Troll book on Internal Quality Control, Proceedings of the International Metrology Conference, Lyon, June 2005
17. B Magnusson, I Trešl and C Haraldsson, Isotope dilution with ICP-MS—simplified uncertainty estimation using a robust procedure based on a higher target value of uncertainty J. Anal . At . Spectrom., 2005, 20, 1024 – 1029
18. A Menditto, M Patriarca and B Magnusson, Understanding the meaning of accuracy, trueness and precision, Accred Qual Assur (2006) 12:45-47
19. Practical Examples on Traceability, Measurement Uncertainty and Validation in Chemistry, EUR Report 22791 EN, ISBN 978-92-79-06157-8, 2007
20. J B Hansen, C Grøn, U Lund, B Magnusson, A Nordbotten, A Oberender and M H. Ramsey, Uncertainty from sampling: workshop to launch a Nordtest handbook on sampling uncertainty estimation and control, Accred Qual Assur (2007) 12:377-381
21. Viallon, J., …Langer, S., Magnusson, B., et al. “International Comparison CCQM-P28: Ozone at ambient level.” Metrologia 2006, 43, Technical Supplement, 08010. doi:10.1088/0026-1394/43/1A/08010.
22. C Grøn, J B Hansen, B Magnusson, A Nordbotten, M Krysell, K Jebjerg Andersen and U Lund, Uncertainty from sampling – a nordtest handbook for sampling planners on sampling quality assurance and uncertainty estimation, Nordtest technical report 604, www.nordicinnovation.net/nordtest.cfm.
23. B Magnusson, S L R Ellison, Treatment of uncorrected measurement bias in uncertainty estimation for chemical measurements, Anal Bioanal Chem, (2008) 390:201-213.
24. B. Magnusson and M. Koch, Measurement Quality in Water Analysis. In: Peter Wilderer (ed.) Treatise on Water Science, vol. 3, pp. 153–169 Oxford: Academic Press. (2011)
25. B. Magnusson and I. Papadakis, Metrology in Chemistry and Traceability of
Measurement Results in Quality assurance in analytical chemistry: training and teaching. Bernd W. Wenclawiak, Michael Koch, Evsovios Hadjicostas (eds). Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg 2nd edition published 2010.
26. B Magnusson, H Ossowick, O Rienitz & E Theodorsson, Routine internal- and external-quality control data in clinical laboratories for estimating measurement and diagnostic uncertainty using GUM principles, Scandinavian Journal of Clinical & Laboratory Investigation, (2012) Vol. 72:212-220.
27. A-L Hauswaldt, O Rienitz, R Jährling, N Fischer, Detlef S, G Labarraque, B Magnusson. Uncertainty of standard addition experiments: a novel approach to include the uncertainty associated with the standard in the model equation. Accred. Qual. Assur. (2012) 17: 129-138
28. B. Magnusson and M. Koch, Use of characteristic functions derived from proficiency testing data to evaluate measurement uncertainties, AQUAL (2013) 17:399–403.
29. M Thompson and B Magnusson, Methodology in internal quality control of chemical analysis, (2013) Vol 18 pp271-278
30. B.Magnusson and M. Koch, Measurement Quality in Water Analysis in Treatise on Water Science. Update 2013 for Elsevier database Earth System and Environmental Science, http://mrw.elsevier.com/eses/
31. B Magnusson, S Ellison and M Patriaraca, Impact of Eurachem 25 years of activity , AQUAL (2014) 19:59-64.
32. T Näykki, B Magnusson et al, Comparison of measurement uncertainty estimates using quality control and validation data, Journal of Chemical Metrology, (2014) 8:1 1-12
33. E Theodorsson, B Magnusson and I Leito, Bias in clinical chemistry Bioanalysis, (2014), 6:15. Open access article to be read here http://www.future-science.com/doi/full/10.4155/BIO.14.249
34. B. Magnusson and U. Örnemark (eds.) Eurachem Guide: The Fitness for Purpose of Analytical Methods - A Laboratory Guide to Method Validation and Related Topics, (2nd ed. 2014). ISBN 978-91-87461-59-0. Available from www.eurachem.org.”
35. P. Pereira, B. Magnusson, E.Theodorsson, J Westgard, P. Encarnação, Measurement uncertainty as a tool for evaluating the "grey-zone" to reduce the false negatives in immunochemical screening of blood donors for infectious diseases, AQUAL (2016) 25-32
36. Marina Patriarca, Bertil Magnusson, Ulf Örnemark. Eurachem guidance on validating analytical methods. Euroreference 2016, 1, 48-51 available from Available from http://euroreference.mag.anses.fr/en.
37. E Theodorsson, B Magnusson, Full method validation in Clinical chemistry, AQUAL 2017, 10.1007/s00769-017-1275-7
38. Marina Patriarca, Bertil Magnusson et al. Method Validation in Analytical Sciences: discussions on current practice and future, AQUAL (2017) Volume 22, 253–263.
Opponent on dissertations
- Lilli Sooväli, Spectrophotometric measurements and their uncertainty in chemical analysis and dissociation constant measurements, June 2006, Tartu University, Estonia
- Eve Koort, Uncertainty estimation of potentiometrically measured pH and pKa values, June 2006, Tartu University, Estonia
Guidelines – handbooks and books after year 2000
1. Bertil Magnusson, Teemu Näykki, Haavard Hovind and Mikael Krysell Handbook for Calculation of Measurement Uncertainty in Environmental Laboratories 2003, edition 5 (2017), Nordtest tecn report 537 www.nordtest.info . Swedish version can be purchased from SP firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Håvard Hovind, Bertil Magnusson, Mikael Krysell, Ulla Lund, and Irma Mäkinen, Internal Quality Control- Handbook for Chemical Laboratories,.Nordtest technical report 569 Edition 4 (2011). www.nordtest.info. Swedish version can be purchased from SP email@example.com.
3. NMKL procedure on weighing using analytical balance, 2008
4. NMKL procedure, Evaluation of results derived from the analysis of certified reference materials,2009
5. Bertil Magnusson, VAM bulletin, issue 35, 2007, New approach on internal quality control from Nordtest/NICe, www.vam.org.uk
6. Terminology in Analytical Measurements, 2011, Eurachem guide www.eurachem.org, member of the working group.
7. The Fitness for Purpose of Analytical Methods, Eurachem Guide revised version issued 2014, Editor.
8. Bertil Magnusson et al. Uncertainty from sampling - A NORDTEST handbook for sampling planners on sampling quality assurance and uncertainty estimation, Nordtest tecn report 604, www.nordtest.info
9. Bertil Magnusson, Teemu Näykki, Haavard Hovind and Mikael Krysell Handbook for Calculation of Measurement Uncertainty in Environmental Laboratories 2003, edition 5 (2017), Nordtest tecn report 537 www.nordtest.info . Swedish version can be purchased from SP firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bertil Magnusson et al. Analytical Measurement: Measurement Uncertainty and Statistics. Eds: N. Majcen, V. Gegevicius. EC-JRC IRMM, 2012. Available on-line from http://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/bitstream/111111111/29537/1/lana2207enn-web.pdf
- Bertil Magnusson och Ulf Örnemark, Metodvalidering, Handbok för laboratoriet, 2017, Utgåva 3. RISE, ISBN 978-91-88349-84-2, SP RAPPORT 2017:03
Courses and lectures
1. Bertil Magnusson has since 2002 participated in a program on measurement quality in chemistry for industries and authorities including the following courses: Statistics for Analytical Chemists, Use of CRM, Method validation, Measurement Uncertainty, Internal and External Quality Control and ISO/IEC 17025.
2. Bertil Magnusson has organised XRF user meetings as well as ICP/ICPMS user meetings bi-annually since 2003.
3. Bertil Magnusson is regularly giving lectures in analytical chemistry and measurement quality at Universities in Sweden.
4. Bertil Magnusson has in cooperation with Marina Patriarca, ISS, Italy given courses in measurement quality in Tanzania (2008) , Ethiopia (2009, 2012, 2013) and Ghana (2014) organised by PTB, Germany.
5. Bertil Magnusson is regularly given lectures at international and national meetings about measurement quality and especially about measurement uncertainty and internal quality control.